Monday, April 15, 2013

Pantry Staples....

Basil and Dandelion drying in our pantry
 
I make most of our food from scratch and I would love to be able to do more things like pickling and preserving our own garden produce, I have to be a little more patient though as our garden is still new, and I think it will be at least springtime before it can boast quantities of vegetables large enough to keep a lasting supply for our family!
 
 When planning menu's for my family nutrition is very important to me, I take care not to be wasteful and use real ingredients.
Here is the list of  pantry staples that I keep, these are used often and quantitys always checked when writing my weekly shopping list. There is not alot you cant invent in the kitchen if you are well stocked with these items!
 
   
flour- plain
flour- self raising
flour- wholemeal P
flour- wholemeal SR
cornflour
sugar- raw
sugar- castor
sugar- brown (quality dark)
sugar- icing
rice- brown
rice- long grain white
rice- med/short grain (aborio)
pasta- soup ( alphabet pasta is fun!)
pasta- noodles (penne, farfale or macaroni)
pasta- spaghetti or fettucine
legumes dried
-red lentils
-green lentils
-chickpeas
oats- rolled
oats- quick
weet-bix
pearl barley
dessicated coconut
bi-carb soda
baking powder
dry yeast
cocoa (premium, its so worth it!)
vanilla extract
honey
golden syrup
molasses
sultanas
currants
dried apricots
dried cranberries
nuts- almonds
nuts-macadamias
nuts- hazel
nuts- cashews
dried herbs & spices
- ginger
- nutmeg
- cinnamon
- whole cloves
- cayenne pepper
- corriander seeds
- oregano
- chives
- rosemary
- dried garlic
- sage
- bay leaves
- marjoram
olive oil
vinegar- balsamic
vinegar- white
mustard powder
curry powder
dried parmesan
massel natural stock powders
- chicken
- beef
- vegetable
passata jars
tomato paste
tins- crushed tomatoes
tins- canelli beans (for making baked beans)
tinned fruit- variety
tins- corn kernels


As well as pantry staples I also make sure I have a chicken and some beef mince "spare" in the freezer, also frozen spinach and puff pastry comes in very handy!
 
The fridge almost always contains fullcream milk (I never buy low fat dairy products)
cream, cheese, butter, eggs, lemons and bacon.
 
I buy our fruit and vegetables seasonally at the farmers markets and to be honest with a store of the above items, you can make so much! Anything from toasted muesli, breads, puddings,cakes and muffins, to stews, soups, pasta dishes, roast dinners, and lots more, all without MSG and preservative laden packet mixes and jars of stuff!
 
Obviously if you were purchasing all these items at once yes it would be costly,but you dont run out of everything at the same time, and I have found that cooking this way is not only healthier for my family, it is very budget friendly too!...
 
 






 
 

6 comments:

  1. I also cook from scratch and find a full pantry very handy. We bought a chest freezer and I find that so useful. I find my shopping bill has dropped considerably since removing processed food and making almost everything, it's great:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chest freezer is a fantastic investment, it really would make a difference to the grocery bill, we have been thinking of saving to make one our next big purchase. It would be great to buy our meat in bulk it is far cheaper to buy a whole lamb or half a cow straight from the farmer. We have several at our Saturday market that will take your order and bring it all back for you butchered and packed in ice the following week, we just need somewhere to put it!!

      Delete
  2. If you do decide to buy a freezer (or any other appliance) we use appliances online, as they are much cheaper then the stores and delivery to very quick. I bought my chest freezer this way. They have free delivery as well.

    http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to spend some time getting my pantry in better order. Thank you for the inspiration to get started!! I am so glad that you gave me a link to your encouraging blog. I am now a follower!! God bless you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Jacqueline!
    What a lovely thing to say, thankyou!

    ReplyDelete