Wednesday, April 3, 2013

In the Laundry...

 
When it comes to homemaking the laundry is really very important, especially if you have a large family. To be honest its probably the thing I struggle to maintain the most, dirty washing is never ending and just keeps on coming, and dont even get me started on the mountains of ironing! I found it became more difficult when our old top loader passed away and we replaced her with a smart new front loader machine, please dont mistake me our front loader is a lovely machine BUT each load takes such a loooong time! I could have had 2 loads finished and on the line with our old washer in the time it takes to do a load of whites now, so if I get behind in the laundry it can take days to catch up!
 


I have been very lucky to get a house with a nice big laundryroom this time as usually I end up with one that is quite small.
In the very top photo you will see a large wooden chopping board that I bought at Ikea, I have always used it in my laundry's and sat it over the trough to give me a little more space to sort things or sit a pot plant etc, it also keeps things looking tidy when I have things soaking in the trough underneath.
I have 4 baskets that were $10.00 each at Kmart for Linens, Darks, Lights and Whites and a large white nappy bucket for all socks and underwear. I find if they are put in the bucket, pairs and sets stay together in the same load and it makes sorting easier. I think I would like a basket just for army and school uniforms but I am hesitant as I think I will be pushing it for space. With a smaller room, the baskets do fit well along the hall by the laundry door as they are fairly narrow and dont get in the way.
 
 
 
I have a hanging rack that I love!! It is actually security bars off someones old windows painted white, my dad put it up for me when we were in Brisbane and it was so brilliant it has gone up here too! I use it to dry clothes and to hang everything on when I'm doing the ironing.
 
 
 
Here is my housekeeping kit, I use laundry powder for all sorts of things, cleaning the bathrooms and toilets, mopping the floors it even brings the oven up beautifully. All anyone really needs to keep a home clean and fresh is laundry powder, eucalyptus or lavender oil,vinegar, bicarb soda and some good quality furniture polish.
 
 
 
Dont forget a few little touches to make it a pleasant place to work! Its certainly worth the effort to keep it tidy and attractive since we spend so much time in there...
 
 
Happy laundering!


 
 
 
 
  

2 comments: