Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Linen Press


Today I am starting "Homemaking tips Tuesday"
And I thought the care of linen press was a good place to start, as its my favorite! I think that the proper care of household linens is very important. Firstly because they are expensive to replace.
Secondly because there really is nothing quite as good as well laundered and starched bed linen.
And Thirdly, because you dont want a pile of odds and sods falling on your head every time you go to get a face cloth!

Buy the best quality that you can afford because if well taken care of it can last for many many years.
I prefer white especially for towels, although I do have some taupe and dove grey sheets as they go with Joshua and Stephens doona covers. Alot of people think white must be terribly difficult to keep nice, but it is actually easier, as long as you only wash white with white( sheets, towels, table linen etc, NOT tea towels! always do them on their own.) Use a hot wash and add nappy san.



I like to iron and starch pillow cases, flat sheets, doona covers,table cloths, tea towels and napkins and I tuck bars of soap in and around the things on the shelves. I use "crisp" starch and the original Cashmere Bouquet bars of soap, both fragrances complement each other very well. If you prefered, you could use a lemon scented starch such as "tonizone" and say, eco stores lemon verbena soap.
Only store linens etc in the linen cuboard, dont make it a dumping ground for all the things you couldn't find storage for elsewhere.
Put all related things by each other.
Once a month actually wash your clothes line with hot soapy water dirt accumulates on it and will mark your whites and lights.
The soap isn't just to smell pretty, women have done it for years as it deters insects.
Donate excess things that you havent used in years, if the cupboard is crammed full, air cannot circulate encouraging a musty smell and even mould and mildew in humid climates like Far North Queensland or Darwin.

I hope I may have helped or inspired someone,
happy homemaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment