Saturday, September 10, 2011

Lovely strawberries

Today I went to the farmers market, and I was so pleased to find that the strawberry man had one tray of strawberries that were second's, and for only $5.00! Of course I snapped them up and spent the afternoon making strawberry preserves and cordial, delicious! Making the preserves is easier than jam as they are just stewed fruit in a thick syrup. They have many uses, spoon onto hot homemade bread and butter or scones with thick cream, drizzle them over icecream or vanilla yogurt and they are superb wizzed in the blender with organic fullcream milk and a touch of vanilla!
  All I did was half the berries and put them in my heavy cast iron pot. I added the juice of a lemon, two cups of organic raw sugar and filled about 1/3 of the pot with water. I let it simmer for around 45 minutes constantly skimming the top and there you have it! Pour it into clean preserving jars and screw the lid on tight, as it cools the seal on the lid should suck down and not move when you push on it.
As for the cordial I had a fair bit of  fruit syrup left over so I simmered it down a little longer, next I added an equal amount of water, strained it and quickly brought it to the boil then bottled it, it is that simple mix it with sparkling water and ice for a lovely refreshing drink! I do love strawberries!

No comments:

Post a Comment